Thursday, October 18, 2007


By BEN AAKER, Senior Technical Journalism Major

Tony “Too Tall” Neighbors is a proud father, a college graduate and sings in the choir at First United Methodist church. He also served two duties in Vietnam and speaks four languages.

Too Tall also happens to be homeless, epileptic and unable to afford his medication. He has spent nearly a year now making his way on the streets, suffering through painful seizures and uncontrollable shaking.

“Sometimes I can’t even sleep because I start twitching,” said Too Tall just moments after he was silenced due to a sequence of uncontrolled spasms.

A year ago, Too Tall had lived in his own home and was able to afford food and medication.

“My house had a fridge, a washer and dryer, and a kitchen I could cook in. It was nice,” Too Tall said.

However, a two and a half-year-old warrant sent him to jail for 16 days. When he was released, everything was gone, claims Too Tall.

“I tried my best to be on top but I lost everything,” said Too Tall with a tear dripping down his face. “It hurts starting all over again.”

Perhaps one of the most troubling issues for Too Tall is the prejudice he faces on a daily bases as an African-American homeless male.

“I’m so tired of people accusing me because of the color of my skin,” Too Tall said. “Just before you came, I was accused of putting someone else in jail—I didn’t even know them.”

Too Tall’s friend “Red Dog” agrees that there is a heightened racial tension among some in the homeless community.

“I used to be racist, but now (Too Tall) is my brother. Skin color doesn’t matter anymore,” Red Dog said.

Too Tall told of his service in the U.S. Air Force, boasting of the Silver Star that he received in Vietnam.

“I’ve been shot twice and stabbed in my back for this country,” said Too Tall. “And this is the thanks I get? Thrown out like this on the streets?”

Amongst the tears, Too Tall pleaded for someone to here his cries.

“I’m a lost soldier. I wish someone could understand. Someone. Anyone,” Too Tall said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment